According to data published by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, around 14.8 million adults were diagnosed with ulcers in 2015. Ulcers are those painful sores, found in the small intestine or stomach lining, as a result of digestive acids eating away at tissues, when the protective thick layer of mucus is reduced.
Ulcers are among the many digestion related problems individuals are facing today. Bloating, belching, heartburn, gas and constipation have become common issues among today’s workforce. This is because we’re compelled by various forces to adopt a sedentary lifestyle. Not only are our food choices often wrong, but some unhealthy habits are making the situation worse, say functional medicine doctors in Houston. In fact, specialists at Holistic Houston Doctors said that gastrointestinal and digestion-related issues are the main causes of weight gain in the current generation.
Digestive Issues People are Facing Today
- Acid Reflux Disease: Every now and then, we experience a burning sensation in the lower chest. This is called heartburn and happens when stomach acid rises back up into the esophagus. This is also known as acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Going without food for long periods is a common cause of acid reflux. Eating something typically provides instant relief in such cases. So, whenever you skip breakfast, do remember that you’re increasing the chances of acid reflux.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): IBS is a condition that has become widespread these days. The person suffering from IBS experiences recurrent abdominal pain along with diarrhea or constipation. The causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is often related to stress, depression and anxiety, which seem to have become an integral part of today’s lifestyle.
- Constipation: Other than making you feel uneasy and bloated, constipation is also the major cause of weighty gain. This medical condition makes it difficult for the person to empty the bowels with ease mainly due to hardened feces. Lack of physical activity and unhealthy food choices with no fiber are major causes of this highly uncomfortable condition.
Prevent Digestive Issues by Targeting the Root Causes
Most individuals seek treatments that cure only the symptoms, while doctors with a more holistic approach in Houston recommend fighting the root cause for permanent relief. Specialists at a natural health clinic suggest some ways to ease the situation without medication:
- Stay Hydrated: Dehydration is a major cause of many digestive problems, where the body does not get enough water to function properly. Ensure to drink at least 2 liters of water every day and remember that soda is not water.
- Eat a Balanced Diet: Instead of relying on junk food, opt for homemade meals having the adequate amounts of macronutrients like proteins, carbohydrates, fats and fiber, along with essential micronutrients like vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, anti-oxidants and essential fatty acids.
- Introduce Light Exercises in Your Routine: Even if you’re short on time, incorporate some activity in the day. You can take out a few minutes in the morning to do some stretching exercises or remember to walk around the office every couple of hours during work.
Doctors in Houston who follow a holistic approach to health also recommend avoiding or lowering stress. Taking a few deep breaths at regular intervals, listening to soothing music or just having a conversation with a friend can help you relax. Visit an alternative health management clinic for further guidance.